FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - West Virginia state law issues
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #43
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riscorn View Post
I know this is an old post. I just moved from VA to WV last spring. What are the laws in WV for keeping breeding and selling corn snakes? I know when I lived in VA I just needed a permit to keep and a permit to breed and sell. When I tried to get a permit to sell in WV it was almost impossible as a VA resident. They wanted me to have all of my corns (at the time well over 200) vet checked and each with a vet certification of health. Have a list of each one their morph age and size that I would be bringing over the state line. They also told me that any time I went over the state line I needed to do that. Even if I was just passing through the state from say a show in MD. That was impossible and I can bet no one who goes to shows in one state but drives through wv does that. I got out of the business when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2016. But just got a few snakes and thought if I intend on breeding again I'd better check the laws. The only thing I found on the internet was a bill from 2015. But couldn't find out any more
Welcome neighbor!

You would need the $2 permit to keep native species, since corns are native though rare in WV. You wouldn't have anything that falls under the DWA.

Both VA and WV state that animals sold commercially should have a vet check/certificate before being imported into the state, but I can tell you based on the list of vendors for the expos in both northern VA and the eastern WV panhandle that the requirement is universally ignored.