FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Florida state law issues
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 PM   #112
KNOBTAIL
just so that we have a very

clear understanding. No one has been proven guilty of anything, as yet. If the people who received the citation decide to peruse it in a court of law, the deciding factor will rest with the courts. I think we call agree on this.

Insofar as fish and wildlife having a hard-on for reptile people, its to well documented especially at airports where international shipments are concerned. At one point the situation was so bad at JFK, that several of us decided to sue the agents personally. You have no idea how frustrating it can be when dealing with some of these over-zelous agents, who can easily tie up your shipment for days, allowing the animals to die, and making your life a nightmare. I would agree with you that if your paperwork is in order, and you have the legal right to accept merchandise , your dealings should be trouble free. But the realities are far from that.

This post has certainly gone beyond the pale. My intentions were just to notify the herp community that we all, and I include myself have to be on guard and vigilant when dealing at shows. The laws that are being enacted and the pressure groups that are just waiting to pounce on the animal dealers are making this industry a difficult one to survive in. I agree with you and probably Wes that it is your obligation to know the limitations of your permit. After all it is a paid privledge. I am also sure that under normal circumstances everyone would have provided the necessary paperwork if the FW people asked for it. But in my partilcular case, my materials do not fall under the jurisdiction of the FW. So, I respectfully declined. In all honesty, he had no business asking me for my permit, nor should he ask me for my licence and registration, or my tax return. His guidelines are clearly spelled out by the Fla. legislature. I was not rude, as I am not to anybody, but I am not going to be intimidated by these people either, especially if I have nothing to do with reptiles.

The fact that I was a police officer, was only mentioned because Ive seen abuses that should never have occurred, but only did occur because of a uniform, a shield and a gun. I have a very astute understanding that is obtained through good experience and length of time, when an officer goes beyond the call of duty. I believe in this particular situation, that might have happened.