FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!*
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #63
amercnwmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
Ibd is so inconsistent and random, the only thing 100% thing known about ibd is that there is nothing 100% known about ibd. The python theory of them getting affected and symptomatic quicker is mostly true, but still just that, a theory.
Really, really glad this was reiterated, and it should be, repeatedly.

There is a LOT of unknowns, and a lot of information that has been casually mentioned in speculation, have (over the years) become "facts" to some people. The more the misinformation is spread, the more danger to our collections.

I think a LOT of people are under the belief that if IBD is remotely present, pythons will not survive in the collection for any length of time.

I believe Adrya has proven this is NOT the case.
*March 2009 Female Boa died: necropsy found inclusion bodies in the liver & intestines. Also exhibited pneumonia and stomatitis
*Winter 09-10 Ball Python died
*June 2010 Blood Python died
*Oct 2010 Female boa voluntarily euthanized due to severe anorexia, muscle mass loss / head wobble
*Oct 2010 Male boa euthanized due to anorexia, muscle mass loss, even though eating & drinking normally, developed head wobble, and large tumor (side effect of IBD)
*Dec 1 2010: Female Suriname boa died

She STILL has 4 Ball Pythons and a Reticulated Python in her collection as of this date.

If she had maintained the "Pythons OK=collection OK" theory and introduced more snakes, or sold any, there would be a risk of contamination to those animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrya
even my strict quarantine protocols taking place in a building completely seperate from my reptile building was not enough to keep a snake from sneaking the disease into my collection, even after quarantining each new animal for over 6 months.
THAT creeps me out.

She still has 4 Ball Pythons and 1 Retic, and just lost another boa yesterday.