FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The ALL NEW Fauna FREE seed Gift and Exchange
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Christina Vincent
One of the reasons these guys appeal to me so is simple annual maintaince. I know they are cold hardy...my mom is in CT but keeps them inside as houseplants. They are slow growers but I just love the ever green dark leaves.
The adults; Every winter I trim back a row or 2 of leaves from the bottom up. Not needed but helps with harvesting seeds and pups and prevents leaves from touchin the ground (we have them near a pool and Sagos are Sharp. I don't water them but once a month, a good soaking is the rains haven't done it.

The pups care is simple to. Put the pup in to a container only about 2" bigger round than the pup and bury half of it with a rich soil so no fertilizing is needed. Soak it with a good water when the soil is dry. Leaves sprout from a pup for me here in a few weeks usually. I am takin photos of the whole process as I am doin it all again this year lol like a photo journal of my breeding sagos lol.

For seed care; the seeds have a "fruit" around them - bad word - pulp is better. Sagos are toxic so "fruit" is a bad example the trade uses imo. N e way... After ripened on the mother sago, I collect them (OWIE she doesn't give um up nicely lol) them I test them in water to check if they're fertile. (Floaters and rattlers are bunk - unfertile teases you'll wait months for and they're duds) so the good ones go into a bucket of fresh water for 3-4 days soaking. Change water daily. Put on some gloves after they've soaked and peel away the pulp. I take a flat container, fill it with soil about 3/4 full and then press a cleaned seed on its SIDE into the soil so just the top is showing. I can fit 50 seeds in a small flat to sprout. I water if the soil is Dry only. Seeds take about 45 days here for me. Sagos like tight spaces for the 1st decade of life.