FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Herping in AZ. Part 1
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
pch101
Herping in AZ. Part 1

On Friday 4-29-05, I went out with a couple of friends (Steve, Gram, and Chuck) on a 2 hour herp hike. Our target species was the Gila Monster. We decided to hike up a small wash/caynon that feeds into Canyon Lake. My friend Steve, suggested this place, calling it the Valley of the Gila Monsters. The conditions were very nice for hiking. The high that day was 79 degrees, and the skys were partly cloudy. The first thing we saw on the way there was a road killed Sonoran Gopher Snake. He was still moving when we stopped to check him out. DORs seem to be the main thing I end up seeing on my herp adventures, and I was beginning to fear that this one would be no different.

Once, we got there and started hiking we saw loads of Tree Lizards, and Whiptail Lizards. It was perfect out, and my only complaint was the stickers that kept getting stuck in my socks. Because of the recent heavy rains there were many areas with lots of grass, and the grass was shedding those crazy sliver-like sticker things that seem to gravitate to peoples shoes and socks. After about 10 minutes I found the first snake. It was a Western Diamond back that was all coiled up next to a river rock in the middle of the wash. I almost steped right on him. He never made a sound despite the fact that he was very much awake. When I was photographing him he would discreatly shift his head in my direction so as to keep a better eye on me.
Attached Images