FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Inbreeding taking a toll on albinos?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 11:32 AM   #12
Dembinski Reptiles
Darin,

Just curious what albino strain and what species are you referring to when you make this statement ??

"I also agree with the idea that, even though the previous is true, there are still strains of albinism that have shown absolutely NONE of the types of deformites that are seen in others."

Ive seen Kinked Albino Ball Pythons, Kinked and deformed Albino Leo's, one eyed Albino Boas, defected Albino Burmese, Albino horned frogs missing feet or arms and trust me I can add more. This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

The key word in your phrase is "shown". I have yet to see a deformed Albino Retic. Does that mean their strong Albinos ?? Heck no. Im sure youll eventually hear of them not being good breeders (fertility) or die at a young age. ALL of them ?? NO. But, just because it doesnt show it, doesnt mean its not present.

Out breeding IS the key to produce the strongest Albino's possible. To me (as countless others) know even the strongest Albino will never compare to a strong normal. Even a imported Albino that hasnt been inbreed still isnt comparable to a strong normal as far as overall health. Why ?? Nature didnt intend that species to be that color and in narture are doomed for more reasons than one.

"What we don't know is if the albinism is the cause or if it is the inbreeding from lines that just happen to have carried that hidden defect."

I disagree Albinism is the cause and with all the breedings that have taken place on the various species, it shows up. To me too much inbreeding just brings it out in a visual sense. Example: How many one eyed Anery, Hypo or striped Boas do you see ?? No their numbers are just as great (if not greater) than Albino Boas. How many defected Lab Burms do you see in comparsion to Albino's ?? How many defected Hypo Leos compared to Albinos ?? How many kinked Pastel Jungles or Ghost Ball Pythons floating around ?? Now these are produced in just about the same numbers as Albino Balls and with Pastel Jungles more so.

I cant convince you Darin and thats not my goal. Its already proven to me. Thats why with the different Ball Morphs Im working with, the Albino's have been taken the most cautious approach to insure strong lines. Dont take what Ive stated the wrong way Darin, thats not my intent, I just disagree with the statements.