FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Snakes at Sunset (Miami)
Thread: Bad Guy Snakes at Sunset (Miami)
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #70
aleria
So far the only thing I've seen stated here is that NO there is not a full and PROPER quarantine area in the store for new acquisitions. What we are to consider quarantine is placing the snake in the "display" area still within a few feet of other animals that can very easily contract any illness or parasite that this snake may have brought in.
The way I see it, it doesn't matter if the animals closest to it are only for display purposes, endangering the display animals by tossing a mite infested, history unknown animal in near them, isn't any better than just putting it right out on the "sales floor".
I understand that most pet shops run a little differently than say breeders, but I would think it would be common, best practice to have a separate behind the scenes area for quarantine and treatment of all new animals.
And from the information I've seen about mites, they can very easily slip through the cracks, end up on a customer's clothing and then have a quick and easy travel route all through the shop and even back home with your customers. That is why quarantine should not be within public view where the general public has easy access to this animal. If it were recently infected with a much more serious illness than mites, but not showing symptoms yet, you could be endangering the collections of every customer that comes into your shop and comes near that animal. I don't think all illnesses necessarily require them to be hands on with the animal to pick something up and have it travel with them.