FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #26
Mustangrde1
I have to agree with Seamus on this. In as much as there is no substitute for training with an EXPERIENCED keeper of the species in which you wish to work with. Also Minors keeping hots disturbs me not in as much their mentality though that does play in to it. But in fact if they are bitten or a friend is bitten the parents of the minor are liable for damages. Let us not forget the implications this will have if the Media gets a hold of such a story" HEADLINE" Minor Child Bitten by Pet Snake.

As a Parent I could not condone my child keeping a venomous reptile until I felt they had the maturity both in age and accountability for the aftermath of a bite. Also an important thing to remember in this age of big brother watching if a child was to get bit Child Services could make the parents life a living hell. Just not a good idea despite how well intent or mature the minor is. I do know of several minors who I would conceder excellent keepers but I still worry about the what if.

As for not being able to find a trainer. There are many good websites out there that have hot keepers perhaps asking one on those sites for a keeper to train you and hold your animals under their care till you no longer a minor is a good idea. You would still be able to work with them and more importantly learn proper handling skills.