FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Looking to gain experience.
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
serpentsofdistinction
I have been working with hots for about 15 years now. I can say no non venomous will train you for working with hots. And there is no venomous snake with training wheels. If you can't find a mentor first you need to do much research. Then must buy the right equipment. Including special enclosures. Not fish tanks. Next you need to think about the people you live with. Most of us have a Hot room in the house or an out building. That is escape proof and locked up like Fort Knox. I have had non venomous snakes for 25 years prior to my first venomous snake. Each venomous snake is different according to their individual personality. I've had spitting cobras that are as laid back as a corn snake. And rattlesnakes like a holy terror. And visa versa. Don't get a venomous snake just to get a venomous snake. Find a species that totally interests you. And learn everything you can about them. Also think about where you live. Example USA. It's probably better to start with a crotalids because in case of an emergency it is easier to get local antivenom rather than something from Africa or Asia. Copperheads are great, some rattlesnake species are also really nice to work with. My favorite snakes in the world are Timber rattlesnakes. In some areas you may need a special permit because they may be native. Another good site to join and ask questions on is venomousreptiles.org it is very informative and many guys there can answer questions for you. You may even find one in your area to help you out.