FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Genetics ?? Hypo gene specifically
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #22
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I think I'm stuck more on the "proof" stuff. It's easier to believe what you see. And I have not seen a normal, from a litter of salmon, produce anything but normals. Than again, I have not had years of morph breeding experience. I rely on the info I have obtained from people that HAVE done it for a while. Perhaps I got lost on the explanations given.
This is because a normal is not carrying any copies of the Salmon mutant. If it were, the snake would not be a normal. The only way a normal "sibling to salmon" would have salmon offspring is if its mate were carrying the mutant gene.

When you cross a salmon to a normal and get normals and salmons, it all makes sense when you look at what is happening underneath the hood... the normal is S<sup>+</sup>·S<sup>+</sup> (homozygous normal) and the salmon is S<sup>+</sup>·S<sup>S</sup> (heterozygous normal and salmon) and the Punnett square for this cross reflects the results you expect:

<table border=1><tr align=right><td> </td><td>S<sup>+</sup></td></tr>
<tr><td>S<sup>+</sup></td><td>S<sup>+</sup>·S<sup>+</sup></td></tr><tr><td>S<sup>S</sup></td><td>S<sup>S</sup>·S<sup>+</sup></td></tr></table>

The normal (on top) is giving the wild-type allele to all offspring, the salmon (on the left) is heterozygous and thus giving the wild-type to some, the salmon mutant to others. The resulting genotypes in the litter are normal (homozygous or genotype S<sup>+</sup>·S<sup>+</sup>) and the salmons are hets (S<sup>+</sup>·S<sup>S</sup>)

Obviously a normal will not throw the salmon mutant to any of its offspring, because it does not have a salmon mutant to give. Nobody is saying that a normal is het for salmon. But a salmon is het for salmon and wild-type at the salmon locus, the same as a "normal het for albino" is a normal het for albino and wild-type at the albino locus. What is being called a "super salmon" is simply homozygous for the salmon mutant at the salmon locus.