FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Genetics ?? Hypo gene specifically
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #24
M.Dwight
Charles, as always your post are right on the money. You should stop by here more often. The folks here seem to need your knowledge.
I have a fairly advanded grasp on genetics and cell biology right down to the nuclear level of DNA however my writting and teaching skills are lacking to say the least.
I'm glad we have you to explain it in a straight forward and logical manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
Obviously a normal will not throw the salmon mutant to any of its offspring, because it does not have a salmon mutant to give. Nobody is saying that a normal is het for salmon. But a salmon is het for salmon and wild-type at the salmon locus, the same as a "normal het for albino" is a normal het for albino and wild-type at the albino locus. What is being called a "super salmon" is simply homozygous for the salmon mutant at the salmon locus.
It seems to me this is what trips so many people up. The understanding of what homozygous and heterozygous really mean. Once they understand that a het for albino is also a het for wild type and that a salmon boa is het for both wild type AND salmon the rest seems to fall into place.