FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - "Monster" Bulls aka Hwy #277 Bullsnakes
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
DISCERN
What I find not completely accurate is..

Should the phrase, " You were taken, " really be put in this post? I ask because exactly how were you taken Jim?

Were you told by the sellers of the bulls that they WOULD get to be Monster size? Or did Shannon ever say to you that they WOULD or be GUARANTEED to be monsters, so to say? Like he told you on the pit forum on this site, they come from a line that appears at this time, to be very large, but that does not guarantee anything.

I have had many, many conversations with Shannon over the years regarding these Monster 277 bulls. Never once has he ever said to me or to others I know, that they would ever be guaranteed to be Monsters. They are what they are: Bulls from huge parents. They hatch out completely huge for bulls, they come from huge parents, so then, of course, the label " Monster" bulls seemed appropriate at the time, and was used to separate them from other lines, that didnt' have babies as large hatch out and didn't come from parents that were as huge either.

I do understand your frustration and dissapointment, and you have every right to be. I would have been somewhat expecting them to be larger as well. Thing is, Cherry made some good points as well about the Tx. bulls he has seen and hatched over the years. Heck, I have purchased Tx. bulls from people as well that came from big parents and they didn't end up as large as what I was expecting.

So, since it appears that you were not blatantly lied to about these genetics, then perhaps saying you were taken is not appropriate here. Is there a possibility that there was some confusion about these genetics in your talks with Shannon from your end? Only you know that.

All of this comes with the territory of the unknown areas of genetics of snake breeding. Is the term, " Monster " appropriate for these bulls? Well, to some it may be, as they did come, again, from big parents and hatch out big. But of course, to some people, such as yourself and others, who have not seen the growth expected, I can completely see why you would not want to use that label. I just feel that using the label, " being taken " is not at all warranted here in this situation.

Just call them 277 bulls then. That way, that label is accurate. Are they worth $150 each? That is up to the individual.

Just my opinion.