FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Anyone have diabetic dogs?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Well she's very lucky, even if you're not. Sorry can't help with the diabetes, but good to know a neglected dog is getting a good second chance. And she looks like she's packed with character!
Thanks Helen! She's a very sweet dog, and doesn't deserve to be dumped for being sick. She's safe, and being cared for now. Of course, the guy we got her from won't return my calls/texts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I've worked with a number on diabetic dogs, and I'm diabetic myself. In addition to the medications, it's also important to provide her with plenty of exercise, and a low-carbohydrate diet. Blue buffalo Wilderness, Wellness Core and Instinct are all great low-carb diets available at most pet stores. I fed Instinct to my last cat, who also had health problems that necessitated a low-carb diet.
Thanks Elena. The vet had recommended a few prescription diets, but I haven't bought anything yet. She has a checkup tomorrow, and I'll ask more questions.

We just found out about this a week ago, and I've been trying to find affordable insulin. I will definitely check out the foods you mentioned. I would rather find something I can buy at the pet store. The products my vet recommended have to be ordered, and I don't want to end up with no food for her if there's a shipping delay, holiday weekend, etc.