FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Dogs
Thread: Dogs
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 AM   #53
ZX11
What kind of stuff have you been using? Effective? Side effects?

The last thing tried was "Four Paws" ear cleaner. It is just drops, but after about three hours, it smells like sour milk and he shakes his head constantly. A look in the ear shows it to be bright red and swollen. I can see they are hurting and cracked dry, but not bleeding. The sour milk smell lasts about three-four days, the pain for a couple weeks.

Before resorting to piercings, I flushed his ears with 91%alcohol and pierced them straight away. Since then, no smell, no crud, no headshakes.

If you opt for this, know that the ear piercing is 18 gauge. The barbell used for tongue piercings is usually 14 gauge and that is a long stretch, so I special ordered the barbell in 16 gauge, the smallest diameter made.

After the first piercings healed, or settled, I use the 16 gauge stuff. For daytime usage, he has a set of ear rings that are actually bellybutton rings. Kind of half circular, but I ordered them in 16gauge and with screw on type ends. His are little red dice with metalic dots. His bedtime barbell has screw on ends, too, but they are round balls. The entire thing is 1.5 inches long and made from titanium. I pin his ears up about twice a week, other than that, he sports his dice. The picture shows his start up piercing studs. I will post a picture of his dice ear rings tommorrow.