FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Corn snake on the way to the grocery store
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
WebSlave
No. Never have.

I have released adults before and found that they hang around here for a long time. Released a big blotched king once and she hung around here for about a year or so. When a friend stopped over here to check on the place while we were away at a show, he was a little bit apprehensive about this big snake that seemed to watch and follow him around as he checked out the house. Ricky wasn't too keen about snakes, it seems, and this one made him nervous. I told him later that she was just hoping he had a mouse in his pocket for her. I'm just glad she never tried to climb up his pants leg or we would have found him dead from a heart attack when we got back home.

One corn snake we released took to following us around whevever she would see us. Whenever we would go outside and she was hanging around, she would lift her head off the ground about 6 inches or so and watch us and then crawl closer. We tended to feed her most times we saw her, so I guess she liked that arrangement. One day she brought a boy friend home with her to "met the parents" and we fed him too, but we never saw him again. We finally had to recapture her, because she had a bad habit of laying out in the driveway, and we were afraid the UPS truck was going to run her over some day.

But babies seem to vanish into the ecosystem pretty rapidly and we rarely see them again.