FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Noob Questions re: breeding and localities
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
elena
It's a big deal because many of us want animals that retain the unique characteristics of their home range, and those characteristics are lost by crossing. And we don't like crossing because those localities can be all but lost to the hobby if no one is taking the time to keep them pure. Using albinos as an example, I think it would be cool to own a pure Temecula albino, the only T- strain of albinism in rosy boas. But I can't. Why? Because almost none of them exist anymore, since the foundation stock was almost completely lost to outcrossing due to the desire for designer morph combinations. The pure form pretty much doesn't exist anymore because almost no one bothered to try to keep it going. Now I do own some pure albino Harquahalas. Not a lot of other people have them, and you won't see me crossing them with other localities to make a snow or whatever, because I see the value in them just as they are, showing the characteristics that they were brought into captivity with.