FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Fire Skink Breeding
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
clydesgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floof View Post
It's been a couple months since you posted this, so hopefully you've already gotten answers, but fwiw.
I care for the babies the same way as I do adults: deep moist soil-type substrate, hot spot in the low 90s, ambient temperature in the 70s. I typically wait until they're at least a few weeks old to sell/re-home. Gives plenty of time to make sure they're healthy, eating, and growing normally.

Eggs incubate in high 70s/low 80s, but be aware that a lot of temperature fluctuation can cause the babies to be weak- many will die in the egg or fail to thrive if there was a lot of temp fluctuation during incubation. Mom tends to lay eggs about every 2 months, which is also about how long they incubate (very frequently, I'll find fresh eggs within a week of the most recent clutch hatching).

Only way to stop them breeding is to separate them, sorry. You can freeze unwanted eggs when you find them to stop them developing if you don't want babies, but breeding and producing those eggs is still a lot of unnecessary stress on the female if you don't want to breed. They will be perfectly happy alone, I promise! They are not social animals. Housing them together is purely for our benefit (convenience, space, breeding).

Hope it helps!
Thanks for the follow-up. There have been a lot of developments since our babies hatched. We moved them to a separate enclosure set up just like the adults'. They did great and we re-homed them at just shy of 2 months. The second clutch of eggs we found didn't hatch. I think I failed at incubating them properly.

About a month after our babies hatched, the male adult had a prolapse of one of his hemipenes! It had to be amputated. Plus, when I tried to catch him to take him to the vet, he dropped his tail! While he was recovering and on antibiotics, he couldn't be in his soil substrate, so we moved him to his own enclosure (just a 20 gallon long tank with shelf liner on the bottom) for a couple of weeks. By the time he was allowed to be back in soil, we had re-homed the babies, so we just moved him into the enclosure we had set up for them. So now the male and female are separated. The female actually seems much happier. We see her out more frequently and she is eating more. The male seems very grumpy and shy now, but I don't blame him. It had to be very traumatic for him to undergo surgery and lose his tail in the same day!