FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - not eating-
Thread: not eating-
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Cat_72
Live mice are just as dangerous as live rats.....really. All of my BP eat live rats (except for a couple that only want to eat ASFR), but you do have to be more careful feeding live. With just a couple of snakes, I would probably make the effort to switch them to f/t personally, but live feeding has worked fine for me also, as long as you do it responsibly.

And well.....I never feed in a different enclosure. That could very well be a large part of the problem. Balls need to feel secure to eat, and moving them around to feed is just asking for problems. People always try to say that feeding them in the same tank will encourage them to become accustomed to it being feeding time whenever you open the enclosure, but that really makes no sense, IMO. As long as you are opening the enclosure regularly (as you should be) to check, spot clean, water, handle the snake, whatever....they are NOT going to be conditioned to have an immediate food response by being fed once out of every several times it is opened. I'm not sure what reasoning you have for "sticking with feeding her in a separate tank", but I just don't see the point myself.

Give her a couple more tries on the f/t, and yes, try leaving it under her hide or in her tank overnight. Do NOT EVER leave a live rodent larger than a crawler rat in with her overnight.