FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The world’s biggest reptile fair is also a hub for traffickers
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Seems to me whatever was smuggled in 30 - 40 years ago didn't have an impact on the wild population and if anything took pressure off the wild populations as these desireable species are readily available as captive bred. If breeders tried to do it with the legal permits and paper work, it would never , ever happened.
I understand the sentiment, but there are cases that show these statements cannot be generalized. One: there are locales of dart frogs that were smuggled to extirpation, so the 'impact on wild populations' issue is sometimes a problem. Two: there are (claimed to be...) breeders of T. rugosa, but still they get smuggled. It is cheaper/easier/quicker/more exciting to steal many of these animals than it is to raise them.

The main reason Australian herps haven't suffered from collection pressures as much as, say, many species geographically located between -- and including -- the US and Brazil is because Australia's wildlife laws are tough and well-enforced.

Also, Australia should have the final say on what happens to wildlife within its borders, no matter if stealing some if it wouldn't cause Australia any harm, or 'how it turns out'. If a person/people/nation wants to be respected, they must also respect others. Unfortunately, this is a hard concept for many to grasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I guess though if some felt strongly enough about having animals that decended from illegal / smuggled animals 30 years ago they could always turn their baby diamond pythons over to Fish and Game when they hatch instead of listing them in the classifieds
That's just silly, and you know it is. You wanted facts, Jim, and I pointed out the relevant one that much of our hobby is founded on smuggling. A person can admit that in the open, and feel regret that things are so, without making ridiculous claims to deflect those feelings of regret.