FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Need opinions on vets for pets
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Herpin Man
At least 90% (probably more) of the issues that arise with herps, that require veterinary care, are the result of husbandry errors. Herps don't need annual checkups, shots, neutering, etc.
A reasonably knowledgeable hobbyist can deal with most minor issues on their own. So, how often you need a vet is largely up to you. Are you taking proper care of your animals? Are you able to recognize when a problem can be corrected by changes in your husbandry? Do you have the knowledge to deal with minor issues on your own? Do you wild caught or captive bred? Is it your philosophy to take an animal to the vet when the cost to do so may far exceed the cost to simply let the animal die, and then replace it?
All of these are factors in how often you will need veterinary care.
To answer your question- for me personally, I have been keeping herps for quite a few years. I have a fairly good sized collection, and I don't like going to the vet needlessly. So, I focus on keeping my animals as clean, fed, and healthy as possible. I fix minor problems myself, but I will take an animal to the vet when I can't fix the problem myself- if it is a problem that appears to be fixable at all. I also think it is important to seek out a qualified herp vet in advance of actually needing one.
But, in your case, if something serious does come up with your snake, I hope that you are prepared to provide it with the veterinary care that is needed.