FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Roaches we need no stinking Roaches!
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
bliss
Roaches aren't THAT bad.. depending on which kind you're talking about.

B. lateralis roaches (aka, the turkish red runners) are BAD. They are very quick, and they will infest your house if they get out. Period. I had a colony of about 500 subadults, but of course the two dragons I had at the time ate through them like nothing.. but still, after the roach colony had been fed off, I found several newborn lateralis roaches scurrying throughout my house, and I continue to find them today. It should also be known that I took lots of time when feeding my animals the lateralis roaches, because if you shake the egg crate they are on too hard, they are really easy to fling out onto the carpet. So I still have no idea how they were getting out. I swear, it's like it's almost them escaping is inevitable. Also, I don't trust any type of roach that can climb.

I do have a Blaptica dubia colony. I have to say that B. dubias are very good roaches to have. They are pretty slow, adults have good gut content, and they reproduce at a decent rate. They can't climb, have minimal odor (assuming you clean their cage every so often, depending on how big the colony is), and dragons love them. And the best part - they aren't terribly bad at infesting your house. About 3 years ago when I got my first dubia colony for my tarantulas (used to be a big spider freak), I accidentally knocked over the roach tank, about 10-15 adults and a few babies escaped. I never saw any fresh batches of babies running around, but what I did find, about 3 months later as I was doing some heavy cleaning, was several roach carcasses.