FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What Are Some Tips I Can Get On Working With Cobras?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
TonyDCaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCracker View Post
First of all let me say that was a great read. Thank you Tony D.
I will say thats is something anybody wanting to learn should read.

But the article says the teacher is right there showing and teaching and explaining.

You write this as if the student has little to no expeirence with snakes.
Most if not all who are trying to "learn" and aquire their VR permit already have and have had for a while, snakes, lizards, monitors, and the such so they know how to clean a cage. They know how to "look in and find" the animal before opening the cage. (but the example in the article was very pointed and proper)
I don't need any schooling on how to clean a cage. Trust me.

Also you don't take into account what a person already knows, or has already done.
What does the student already have and has had. Have they (like alot of people) had venomous before? Do they have any other animals that require the same amount of attenion to detail?
What other things have they done in life that may have help? them with the education they are wanting. ( just as a side note most people who have worked in jails or prisons pay better attention to the little details like the mundane being out of place so they would be a little better prepared than the average "keeper".
or any other profession that requires the like.)

I dont have a problem HELPING to clean out your cages, but if you are just going to sit there and watch.....you got another thing coming.
like I said I have been through it and to hell with that. Either TEACH me or go pound sand.

again the article was great but there is room for improvement.

You also write as though the teacher has ALOT of snakes, hot or other wise.
The problem with that is not too many people have alot of snakes. A couple pythons and a couple hots (by couple I mean 3 to 4).

NOW..........just so everybody knows where I'm coming from.......
I have had 8 Rattlesnakes, 2 monocled cobras, 2 specktecled cobras. 1 king cobra, 2 bush masters, 6 eyelash vipers, 3 white lipped vipers, and a few others that I can't think of right now, BUT......the point is this.....I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING........I have never had a VRC but have decided to get my VRC and own hots again (I currently don't have any) but I do keep some animals that are just as if not (different debate) more venomous than most of the snakes. I also have a few non V snakes.
so again I know what I'm doing but almost everybody I have me in the "hot" hobby seems to be a little high on themselves because "I keep hots"......
My point is you were not born with your knowlegde of hots you had to learn and if you are going to continue to treat "newbies" with the disdain that you do ...no wonder we dont have enough people in the higher rafters of goverment to stopo stupid laws from getting passed. and you do treat alot of newbies with disdain and disrespect. By that I mean when asked what advise you would give a person thinking about getting into hots dont say......... "DON'T" .....like I have seen hundreds of times in this and different forums.
Just help them out as much as you can because if people took that advise ...... there would BE NO MORE HOBBY................

but thats just my opinion.....and what do I know right?
Miami,
Let me start by saying I was in no way insulting your abilities of handling hots. I did not write this article but I found it a very good read and everything on that website is wonderful for the reading and education aspect of keeping hots.

Keep in mind many people own hots for many years and get away with very stupid things that they may not realize are stupid out of shear ignorance, sometimes its not their fault because they have never been taught otherwise. Someone once told me that use every chance you can get to watch people handle hots, take what you think is good and what you think is bad. You will see some very horrible handling from people and you will also see great handling skills.

Just pay attention, keep an open mindset and always be learning. When you stop learning and improving will be when your in trouble. Your doing the right thing by asking questions but I don't think these boards are going to do you much good. A lot of people in the hot community are very secretive and do not talk about their collections or what they do and generally do not want to take on new "recruits". Start by going to one of the venomous shows like Columbia in SC and talk to people there. You will find people from FL and make connections. It may take awhile to find someone you really want to mentor you, just because someone has a VRC doesn't make them the best candidate to learn from if you know what I mean

Best,
Tony