FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - more adventrures in homesteading......a goose in my bra
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks John. The baby did not make it. His little legs could not support him even after the leg braces~ and he would not eat. He was gone this morning. Hate that.

I've got an egg turner. I think my current hatching problems are a combination of things. All three of my incubators are still air incubators~ thermal air ones move the humidity and heat better for poultry so I have ordered thermal air fans for two on my incubators. My incubators are old and the wafers may not be holding my temps properly so I have ordered new wafers for the two I am getting the fans for. Humidity may be the issue as the babies are not getting out of the eggs~ so even though the reseviours are full I am spraying the 4 goose eggs still in the last incubator at each turn (Have to hand turn the goose eggs~ they are too large for my egg turner). I may have picked up a bacteria in my incubators that is killing the babies so I have stopped putting eggs in the incubators and bleached the empty ones~ the one that still has goose eggs in it will be bleached on the 20th when the last egg either dies or hatches. Once I have them all bleached~ the new fans and wafers in the two I will set some chicken eggs to see if the problem is solved. If not~ I'll keep working at it~ I really want to hatch several of the Turkey, Goose and duck eggs this spring.

On the bright side~ the last four duck eggs were due to hatch on the 8th. On the seventh one was dead and one had made a small crack in it's shell. I went ahead and cracked the shell without tearing the membrane and picked out the shell in a circle around the three live ones. They succeeded in getting out of the membranes and seem fine today~ they can walk, see, eat and drink~ they got out of the eggs before it was too late. I think this ads to the theory that humidity may be my problem~ so again with spraying the last 4 goose eggs at every turn.