FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Georgia state law issues
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #100
LittleGrayTiger
Do you have any idea if the public is welcome at these DNR meetings? I would love to go and discuss changes. My degree is in wildlife biology so I recognize their need to keep local native species from being collected/decimated, but I also want there to be fewer restrictions. I could have rescued some corn snakes but once we knew we were moving to GA that option became closed to us.

I've read over the permits and I find their procedures VERY excessive for species with abundant populations. Lots of documentation about where they came from, who sent them, what their enclosures are, and any new animals on that permit must be documented immediately. I could see this for endangered species, but not Least Concern. Especially since no one should have them without the permit/educational hours.

I'd at least like to see the compromise of allowing morph animals; New Jersey does this. If the point is to prevent animals being taken from the wild I'm pretty sure a Lava Lavender Stripe corn is obviously captive bred. :P Same for kings, pine snakes, etc.