FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - diy cage problems (too many thing to choose from)
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
mikepanzarella
diy cage problems (too many thing to choose from)

so this is my problem and it sounds more like a mad man rambling about nothing lol
to start i have 2 choices im doing a 12 foot long by 6 foot high unit
i can do 16 3Lx2wx1.5h the problems i see is the light to close to the animals on the basking spot (dont want to burn them 100w mercury bulbs powersun,flukers)
or i can do 12 3Lx3wx3h now this will be ample room for the lights but its smaller and can house less animals

next i have 3 ways to go for the doors sliding glass,sliding plexiglass,screen doors
glass is heavy wont scratch as easy and is cheaper then plexiglass
plexiglass easy to cut and replace some warping may occur also scratches
screen this was just a thought i dont think it will work cause it will let out too much heat but would be the cheapest way to go (not looking to cheap out but dont mind saving money if theres no negitive )

lighting oh man this is going to be a fun convo alone
2 ways too go regular style bulbs or fluorescent bulbs
regular bulbs powersun 100w,flukers 100w both uvb/uva then exo terra has a uva/uvb bulb also
i can get the flukers about $10 cheaper per bulb but they say the life span is 5k hours powersuns say 5k-10k hours i figure each should last a year and i would like to change every 8-10 months unless needed
fluorescent really only one choice

i was going to build custom background and hides ect in the enclosures so thats easy

what bedding should i use soooo many choices
sand looks great ok to maintain but not great if ingested
newpaper/paper liners easy to clean and maintain doesnt look as good
green carpet looks ok easy to clean really not good if ingested

my temps in the house dont really drop too much room temps stay good so i dont think undertank heat is needed (unless for snake area if i make that)

was thinking about doing live plants
i know live plants like to attract parasites but i dont know what kinds would be safe if any to use because mites would be very hard to deal with so i would have to be extreamly careful with this

lol like i said ramblings anyway input and ideas welcome thanks for reading
mike panzarella