FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Kansas Herping event 4/23/06
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
sppeavy
Its all good.

I still went out, and boy was it good for me. I did strike out on speckled kings, but I found the monster milks for this spring. I got permission to hike this property of Mcdowell Rd. The 3rd rock I lifted had 2 large central plains milks.....I mean LARGE. The female measured in at 43 inches, and the male was 38. These are the biggest I have ever seen out here. The fourth rock had a plains rat under it and a garter snake. Now, I have'nt found a big plains rat in years, so the next find was exciting for me. I flipped a 56 inch female plains rat. It was big snake day for me. I also pulled a monster Black rat under some tin and 3 large banded water snakes. I noticed the lack of ringnecks under stones, but they were abundant under tin. Yeah, it was hit and miss with the burn hills. I try to avoid them till they greenup a bit. All in all, it was fun, and the bigs milks were awesome! This coldfront comming through is perfect for the critters, once its heats up after this, critters will be out like crazy!