FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - How long to settle down?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
omni
Hi, Joseph.. thanks for replying.
My only experience in reptiles is about 9 years with corn snakes and I've had a large green iguana and 2 baby savannah monitors that we kept for a few mos. Mostly have been into "furry animals" but this year I've taken on a collection of handleable tarantulas, and am raising Silkie chickens, and have been nipped by everything we owned (except the spiders so far lol) so I'm used to getting bit, but still nervous with care of any new critters I get. Also worried about exposing family to a new species when I myself have little or no experience with.
The python I decide on would be housed in the front room as a display animal, where a lot of traffic goes by. Maybe I'm being paranoid about snakes, but I have to be sure a larger reptile than we've ever had will be manageable by anyone that would come into contact with it. This would include my 5 yr old neice.
Like if a tank lid or cage is left open, anyone could scoop the animal up and not worry about a cat or one of our Boston's becoming supper .
So carpets would be the prettiest snake I think that doesn't get too big or strong, and I've handled a couple 4footer balls, but petstore BP's see lots of ppl everyday vs. buying a carpet from a secluded habitat that might've been handled by only one person. My fam can only get their confidence in an animal I get thru me being confident in it's care and handling.
I hope ppl see where I'm coming from, that I just don't want to make any mistakes and not be in over my head choosing a python that could grow to 10' or more or be large enough to eat a small dog or cat someday...

Hope this explains why I do ask some of these questions.