FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What is the easiest snake to breed?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
Granting that it is an older post, two aspects stand out to me. The first is that females were swapped in and out without giving them further time to establish a series of reproductive efforts per female. Successive efforts without withdrawing females alone may have solved or improved things. The other is that there is a formulaic aspect as well as a personal skill aspect to incubation aside from the variability of the status/condition of the eggs one is incubating. While I do not work with Colubrid breeding, I have bred and do breed a lot of things. Giving females time to "season" or find a rhythm can be important. Learning the nuances of individual females can be important. Getting a base formula (or method or recipe) that is generally successful is important. Then getting an intuitive feel for things can further squeeze out positive increments of productivity that a rote formula alone does not quite achieve. This last part has made an especially meaningful and rewarding impact on my experiences and results as a reptile breeder.