FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Albino Ball Python Died!!
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 09:59 PM   #37
Adam Block
Rob, what you failed to mention in the quotes you supplied is that you were talking about secondary gout. Defiend as:

Quote:
Secondary gout is also caused by hyperuricemia, but it is usually the result of a chronic disease or the side effects of drugs used in treating other illnesses. Chronic diseases that may effect uric acid levels leading to secondary gout in reptiles are renal disease and starvation. Metabolic disorders may also play a role in the development of gout.
This does not apply here as the snake was free of any disease and was feeding. The situation your speaking of is something that takes time and wouldn't be seen in a 2 month old snake.

What does apply from that same link is this:

Quote:
Gout is not a condition that typically presents itself overnight; there are exceptions to this rule, as we will see later on. This condition is usually develops slowly over a long period of time. There are three forms of gout that may effect reptiles, visceral, articular and pariarticular. These three forms of gout may be broken down into two basic classifications, primary and secondary. The primary classification occurs when uric acid in the blood is present as monosodium urate. When uric acid and uric salts are present in high amounts in the bloodstream the condition is referred to as hyperuricemia. To put it simply, hyperuricemia is the overproduction of uric acid and uric salts. This overproduction of uric acid and salts may be the result of a genetically inherited defect. When this occurs it is classified as primary gout.
I'm not saying that is the case. However, because it is far more likely I feel my request of a snake valued at 35% of the one that died leaving 65% of that doubt on myself is more then fair.

I think this quote from that link also applies:

Quote:
Successful diagnosis and treatment of this condition may be very difficult and recovery rates in reptiles are very low. One of the reasons for this is that by the time the condition is diagnosed it has been present for a long period of time and is usually very well progressed. For this reason it is very important to prevent the illness by providing a proper diet with the right type of proteins throughout all life stages and to ensure a fresh, clean water supply is always available.
Adam Block