FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Asian Vine
Thread: Asian Vine
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
CrotalusCo
Another hook would not hurt. I have 1 in the truck and let me count -- 5 here in the snake room. Now you wont need 5 but I always find them mis layed when i need them.

Depending on the species you end up with mind you. I recommend a good 18-20" hook for cage work and a good 36-40" hook for field and hot room work. But in reality you will use the hook that is sized best for the snake you are using it on.

There are many hook makers out there making them of different materials and sizes. They all work well and the choice you will use will come from both habit and the one you like the feel of. Most of mine are from Midwest, i know Tim likes animal capture. Both will do the job. At the last Hamburg I found a custom hook that was amazingly light and strong and when I went back to buy it -- of course it was gone.

This is also where a mentor will help. You can get some hook time with various species under experienced supervision. Try out the different sizes and styles of hook to see what you like. And of course get some ideas from his custom tools. Any long term HOT keeper has a variety of custom tools he/she has made to do various jobs.