FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Almost had to kill the neighbor's dog
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #2
ms_terese
Yikes, Ken!

As an owner of an American Staffordshire Terrier mix, this one hits close to home for me. Amstaffs are considered a form of "pit bull", and I know that most people are generally terrified of them. My little pup will be a year old in January, and while she's as harmless as can be, she is still learning what's "her" territory and what's not. Consequently, when our next door neighbor comes down (his house is a weekend retreat, so he's only there a couple of times a month), she uses her "big girl voice" and goes nuts. Same thing with other dogs....she goes to the kennel about once a week for socialization, and does beautifully, but when a strange dog wanders into her yard, she's a barking fool. Doesn't get aggressive, just barks and carries on.

Now, as for the owner, well, he sounds like an ass. Our pup is still being trained on a daily basis, and we take full responsibility for her behavior at all times.

I just hate to see a dog punished because the owners are irresponsible. Is it possible you could befriend the dog somehow so that you don't have to worry about him getting aggressive?