FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Help! Im new to hognoses and my female hasn't eaten in going on 3 months!
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 AM   #16
hotlips
Many years ago I had a pair of W. hognose snakes & they didn't eat all that well in winter. Keep in mind that snakes know it's winter not just by temperatures but also by the length of the daylight. Not necessarily a light right over her cage though...might try a 'daylight' bulb going in the room? I used UTH for mine in 10 gal. (separate) aquariums, & used Carefresh for a substrate. It allows them to burrow, but doesn't have the drawbacks of sand. I agree with enclosing reluctant feeders in a bag or container with dead prey overnight, sorry that didn't work. It's discouraging for such a small snake to lose weight, as they don't have much to spare.

I have tube-fed my share of snakes over many years, even tiny ones- it's not that hard and better than trying to force-feed prey into a snake's mouth. I can give you pointers if you like. One such snake I had to do that with was a Texas longnose snake that I got from a pet store: it wouldn't eat for them & I knew it needed help...I traded them one of my young corn snakes for it, a well-started easy pet they could actually sell. I still have that longnose, he's about 32" long and about 16 1/2 years old now. They are lizard feeders by nature, but as a c/b, he had been started on pink mice, it's just that the pet store had no luck or patience. After I settled him in at home & he refused normal prey items, I gave him a tube-feeding. After that, he perked up and wanted real food a week later. I never had to do it again, though I can't promise you that of course.

What's important about tube-feeding is that it gives a snake that's weak from not eating enough energy to FEEL like eating again. It's like being in a hospital without an I.V. to get your energy back when you're sick & have no appetite...you need that boost to stay out of a downward spiral. FYI, I use Gerbers chicken babyfood thinned with a little water so it's thin enough to go thru the tubing*. (*use a human urethral catheter of appropriate diameter, attached to syringe -without needle, of course) Lubricate the catheter with a tiny dab of olive oil (or similar edible oil), & you can add a drop or two to the liquid baby-food too. You need to be gentle, but firm & patient too...keep the snake level or with the head up slightly afterward as you put them back into the cage, as what goes in can slide back out pretty easily...