FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What method do you use to ship?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 09:36 PM   #74
eholtz
More than one problem....

I ship about 100 packages a year, nothing compared to a lot of you, but still about $3,000 a year income to UPS, again not alot to them either.

I have always shipped UPS with no problem, other than the occasional couple hour delay. They always refund my money on delayed shipments even if it is only 30 minutes. I always ship in a box that is in good condition and designed for shipping reptiles. My labels are preprinted by UPS saying "JE Reptiles".

I think some of the problem is tied back to others in the trade, shipping in boxes that are almost falling apart or smell of reptile waste. I have received animals in boxes that made me embarassed to accept them. Old cricket boxes used to ship animals, Wheaties boxes (that is right cereal boxes) taped up with baby chams inside and a number of sorry excuses for acceptable shipping boxes. My boxes are often reused and not new, but they are always sealed and packed properly and never falling apart and always in good condition. This just sends a bad message that we are not serious or cautious about the care. I doubt anyone on here have shipped liked that, but we all get lumped together.

I agree something needs to be done, but I also realize that something on our end also needs to be done. If UPS or whoever sets it up for us to ship with their approval, you will still have these problems and it lumps all of us together.

So some professionalism on our part (that is everyone that ships) might help the situation. Also, if they made it legal to ship non-venemous, someone will still break the rules, so it is probably easier to just say none, that way they are covered in a bad situation.

Just my opinions........ good or bad......... moost situations have two sides......

Eddie Holtz
JE Reptiles