FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Let's Discuss: Field Herping!
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
Karen Hulvey
Or how about some idiot buying a piece of land and building a house 100 feet from a timber den. This has happened recently. I talked to a builder who also happens to like snakes. He said while they were digging the foundation a ton of rattlesnakes were showing up and then he found what he believes to be the den. The homeowner is freaking out and, of course, wants all these snakes dead because they have small children.

Why oh why can't we humans, who are supposed to be the smartest animal, think about these things when we are looking to build. This place is in the middle of a large piece of wooded property with a lot of rock outcroppings. They could have built anywhere but chose that spot. DUH did they even look around and check out the habitat? Probably not. Or if they did they were apparently too stupid to think, "Hey this is great timber rattlesnake habitat. Maybe I shouldn't build here because I'm afraid of snakes."

I don't know this for fact but I bet that den is no more. I haven't talked to the builder for a few weeks now. When I see him again, I will ask him about it.

I wish these places could be protected but I know it's not possible to protect everything.