FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hatteras island 2015
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
WebSlave
We bought a 2015 Wrangler Sahara. I looked hard at the Rubicon, but when I did a comparison list of what was standard and what was optional as far as what features I wanted in the Jeep and how much it would cost for each model to get them, the Sahara came out on top.

In the Bronco we had, I bought it with positraction front and rear, as you could do that back in the day when the manufacturers and dealers didn't get lazy and just offer packages that combined things that people would want with other options that they didn't (but too bad for you). It did fine in the sand, but there was once when I didn't think I was going to be able to get out of a gully that had formed that backed right up to the Atlantic. It took several running tries to finally be able to top the ridge and get out of that. I was sweating it for a while. Back in those days, it was quite common to see half submerged vehicles that had gotten stuck and the owners obviously abandoned them as the tide came in.

I guess if I were going to be on Hatteras for a week, I would spring for the permit, but I just couldn't swallow that for the brief period when we were just passing through. But I guess every state with a coastline is putting up toll booths at the access points for vehicles getting onto the beaches. If they are allowed at all. It's rather sad looking at the "land of the free" and seeing just in my lifetime how many things you are not allowed to do now compared to when I was younger. Does not bode well for the generation now growing up, I suppose.

But I predicted years ago that sooner or later everyone will be prescribed an official manual from the government that will list everything you are ALLOWED to do. Anything NOT on that list will be forbidden. Mark my words on this, it is definitely heading in that direction.