FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Question on Long Nose Snakes
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
aliceinwl
I've never tried keeping this species, but they are reputed to be lizard feeders. When I have snake that I'd like to get onto rodents, I give it a week or so to settle in. I'd recommend a substrate such as aspen that the snake can burrow in and some flat hides such as cork slabs, a small water bowl and a UTH. Depending on size, I'd select a tank that's on the small side. You want to have him in a tank that's a bit too small so that when you do try feeding, he'll always be in close proximity to the food. Once you get him feeding regularly you can upgrade.

I always offer an appropriately sized live mouse first (sometimes you get lucky) you want to pick a size that's small and would be very managable and unintimidating. If that doesn't work, get a frozen thawed mouse, wash it with a bit of realtively unscented soap to remove the mouse scent rub with a local lizard and place the mouse under the hide or somewhere the snake will come in contact with it. If this doesn't work, you can try with a bit of lizard tail etc shoved into the mouse's mouth. You may need to experiment with lizard species. I usually wait a week after each feeding attempt.

Some adult / large juvenile snakes are pretty set in their feeding habits and may never be willing to accept rodents and adjust to the confines of a cage. If you can't get the snake eating in 3-4 weeks, or if you feel that captivity is jeopardizing its health, you're best off releasing it.

-Alice