FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The death of potato chips.
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #9
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Well for now you do, but there appears to be a trend afoot to take away that choice. For your own good, of course.......
Actually Rich, the ban in New York City applies only to restaurants and will perhaps be subject to legal challenges. The plain fact is that Lays made this choice, like all other companies do, in response to what they perceived as consumer demand. Your choice is to make the chips yourself, deep fry them in lard, and they'll taste good. Oh, and they will only have a small amount of trans fats. Most trans fats (really "trans fatty acids") are the result of hydrogenation (look for an ingredient called "partially hydrogenated" something and it contains trans fats). They are manufactured by the food industry as a convenience for themselves with your health be damned. They don't really contribute to taste, but rather have a longer use/shelf life before turning rancid.

Meanwhile I'll have to check and see if Utz has changed their "recipe" next time I'm at the supermarket. I'd be happy to ship you a large crate full of them anytime.