FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What is the difference in Central American, Columbian, South American, etc.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
robin d.
as far as what's the difference betweencentral american and colombian and south american boas... well first off central american and colombian boas are both bci. i am not sure what you mean by south american boas because colombia is in south america... and bci are distrubuted through out many countries in south america. Other than the obvious locale differenes, color and size and patterning are other differences... central americans tend to be smaller than their south american bci cousins. now while central american boas do vary they tend to not excede 7-8 feet in length where as their souther american bci cousins can attain lengths up to 10+ (10+ not being very common but not rare either) feet. ALLOT of time central american tend to have a darker body color and circle back patterning is also more common.. the south american bci tend to be lighter than their central american cousins and tend to have the basic saddles little to no circling and no peaks.BCC or true redtails are the big boys... they range in color from greys to yellows, purples, pinks, browns and blacks. most BCC with the exception of peruvians generally have peaked saddles....and side with nice "medalioon shaped side patterns and usually some color shift... usually pinks or purples.... these guys can reach lengths of 12+. other south american boas include b.c. amaralli, b.c. occidentalis, b.c. longicauda and i cant think right now but i am sure i am missing some.

*note: when speaking of central american boas i am speaking of mainland boas and not any of the insular forms... those generally are quite different than their mainland counter parts