FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - thereptileroom = cheat of the month
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #31
Chameleon Company
Rich, I do agree with this statement of yours in Post #29:

Quote:
More to the point about this thread is that we should be careful to not kill the messenger if we believe he may be carrying info that is incorrect.
If I can clarify my concerns a bit. It was not that the thread starter may have had incorrect information or not, it was what I feel was a deliberate mischaracterization of the other forum and its management, or if not deliberate, than an attack on that forum. Between seeing this as the thread starter by "Watchdog":
Quote:
thereptileroom = cheat of the month
with the "thumbs down" icon, and then the perceived need by Gary and others to rebut that statement, I thought I was viewing a BOI thread. While the stated purpose of the BOI is to address the transaction of "goods and merchandise", I would also think that "services" could fit under that umbrella. I also must point out that the subforum header for this feedback page states:
Quote:
Any issues related to the FaunaTopSites listings are welcome to be posted here.
If watchdog had begun the thread just pointing out that he had questions about "hit spikes" etc, or any other more objective characterization, then this thread is short. But the way its posted, I think that one of the rules of the site applies:
Quote:
Posting BOI topics in other forums - 1 point
On February 20, 2005 a payment and verification system was implemented whereby anyone wanting to post on the BOI is now required to have a minimum Participant Level membership in order to do so. Some people may decide to try and circumvent this requirement by posting Board of Inquiry types of threads in other forums where the verification restriction is not in place. Such instances will have the threads deleted as soon as they are located and the poster of said thread assessed this warning. Only the fact that some people may do this accidentally keeps this from being a stiffer penalty rating.
While I highlighted the word "accidentally", I think that the thumbs-down icon, and the word "cheat", in the header show this as a deliberate "no-pay, no ID" circumvention of the BOI. That the replies so quickly came out in objection to the original claim would lend plenty of support to the claim of it being frivolous and contrived as well.
Lastly:
Quote:
The next messenger very well could be carrying accurate info, but be very reluctant to present the message if it carries the risk of having his/her head lopped off for the trouble.
If the rules are clearly stated, and objectively applied and enforced, and the information "accurate" or at least not maliciously fabricated, then how does the application of the rules change anything from the system as we now know and accept it? I think that all members here are sensitive to frivolous and malicious attacks against someone's reputation using this site, and I think that in the minds of many, it would rank as the highest possible abuse of the forum. I think that is a large part of the motivation behind the creation of the specific rule that I cited above. Besides all of the above listed reasons, this individual did post their name as "Shane sixsixsix". This was not an innocent and well-intended messenger. I do not think that this is a borderline call, but that is just IMHO. Thanks.