FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Evan Stahl - Sent Me Sick Pine Snakes
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #27
gila7150
Quote:
I was the first to mention husbandry & I did not question it.
You didn't but another poster did.
Quote:
A fecal can be done by any vet & is usually under $30. The animal does not need to be seen.
Some veterinarians may be willing to do this but a direct smear test may be required in addition to a flotation to diagnose protozoan infection. If you can get both of those tests done for under $30 than that is a great deal and prices have dropped since I was a vet tech in the mid 90's. If the test is positive, most veterinarians will want to examine and weigh an animal before prescribing Flagyl.
Quote:
If you're going to make a declarative statement like "THIS PERSON SENT ME SICK SNAKES" then you should expect to have to back up that assertion through facts, evidence and background info.
I see your point but this poster would never be able to prove anything. If he had paid for a necropsy and fecal tests out of his own pocket there would still be people posting saying that he needed to prove that the animals had the infection before they were shipped. The title probably should have been more neutral but I don't have any problem with him describing the transaction as he saw it.
I do think that the photo of the dead snake does not look like a healthy pine snake that was fed several times by the breeder and then fed weekly fuzzies by the seller for a couple months. I think most people who have kept and bred pines would come to a similar conclusion.
Quote:
Is that large bulge in the photo from a meal before dieing? If not, that is a pretty characteristic visual symptom of crypto, which also causes chronic regurge and death.
If the snake had a mid-body bulge while it was still alive I would agree that it is a concern but that may just be bloating from decomposition. I only mention that because these threads seem to get absolutely out of control anytime the word "crypto" is mentioned and it could unfairly attach a stigma to the seller and OP that may not be warranted.