FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Eastern DiamondBack Rattlesnake's
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #60
NocturnalNature
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
Thanks' for your question, I'll try and answer but it most likely wont make any sense to you. As a child I was always fascinated by not just snake's but rattlesnake's there was a mystic quality about them. I was brought up to FEAR rattlesnake's because their very deadly, any time one was seen it was automatically killed! I've been a hunter all my life (I'm 49 now) and have spent many hours in the wood's, when I would be hunting by myself and come up on a rattlesnake I liked to just watch it. When I stood there in front of it guess what? it wasn't the MONSTER I'd been told that it was! If I stood there long enough the snake would stop rattling and simply crawl off. As I began to see these snake's in a different light I began to try and inter act with them more and more, what I found out was that they aren't EVIL,MEAN,WICKED and NASTY. So slowly I began working with Eastern Diamondback Rattlers both w/c and c/b and I have found that they do respond to a person's touch. If your kind to them that means your calm around them and they sense that. I have a great love for these snake's. I never expect anyone to understand what I do only that they just be respectful of it as my choice, we all like different things in life this just happens to be mine.
I told you this probably wont make any sense to you but I tried.lol
Barry,
Thank you for taking the time to try and explain your reasoning behind your desire to practice this sort of handling technique. As you surmised, I still don't understand why you feel it necessary to do this. I will say this though, you seem like a very passionate fellow and don't appear to be doing it for the reasons others freehandlers I have spoken with do it (cool factor, showing off, trying to impress people, etc.). Despite the obvious dangers of what you are doing, you seem to take great precautions leading up to the actual "laying on of hands", it is quite apparent that you take great care of your animals, and you don't appear to downplay the dangers of participating in this behavior.
I still strongly disagree with sharing this aspect of your passion in a public arena, and believe it is an action that can have a huge potential for public negativity towards our hobby. it is one thing entirely to do what you do in the privacy of your own home, but sharing it with the world and giving instruction on how to do it still leaves me a bit baffled.
I truly wish you and your animals the best and thanks again for answering!
Respectfully

Joseph,
You quite honestly scare me with your thought process. Your animals simply do not have the mental capacity to "respect" you. Tolerate you yes, but you seem to have a history of attributing human traits onto an animal that largely functions on instinct alone. In addition your past posts lend little credibility to your actions. Unlike Barry, you seem to thrive on the negativity and lash out with wildly irrational or contradictory statements when questioned.