FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - HELP!!savannah monitor w/ parylzed hind legs
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
ephraim
HELP!!savannah monitor w/ parylzed hind legs

I just recieved a Baby Savannah Monitor yesterday (11/10) in the mail. I opened the box to let the girl out and she would'nt move. I dangled a nightcrawler in her face and she only flicked her toungue out maybe 1/4" and very weakily. I noticed right away that her belly looked fat but her butt sloped down towards her tail so I believe she is somewhat malnutritioned. Finally I gently let her down into a small aqaurium to see if she would move around. Well, she did but not how I expected. She moved very slow and pulled herself across the sand by her front legs but did not move any part of her legs. Right away I called the guy I got her from and told him. He told me that, that very morning he was cleaning out his cage and noticed his was dragging its back legs. I went to the store and got some pedialyte. I soaked her in it overnight and noticed that she was drinking a lot of the water and seemingly more alert. I tried to get her to eat a crawler again and she slowly took it in her mouth but did not have the strength to eat it. Also she seemed to be swallowing a lot as if she had a sore throat. I think she may have some respiratory problems and have her drinking pedialyte, soaking in it and in about 90 degree temperatures. I need to know what is wrong, what to do, and is it contagous to other reptiles.