FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #21
Copperheadman
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamus Haley
I'm going to have to dissent from some of the views espoused on this thread...

While I feel that working with multiple species, of any kind, is a great way to increase the knowledge and experience of a keeper, I truly feel that there is no non-venomous species which can act as a substitute when looking at potentially keeping a hot. Sure, there are species which can be used to learn basic restraint techniques and every species kept gives a certain indefinable measure of competence to a herper but...

The best "first hot" is one that belongs to someone else. Locating a suitable individual who already keeps venomous species and volunteering to clean cages and fill water bowls in exchange for a hands on education about the animals is the ONLY way to go. From there, the best species for any given individual to keep is one that is not considered capable of a lethal envenomation and that they personally feel comfortable working with. I learned (meaning had pounded into my head) handling techniques from my father, who kept crotalids and thus I personally feel way more comfortable hooking a massive, agressive atrox than I do handling just about ANY elapid (I also grew up with corals, but the behavior of a coral is vastly different than the behavior of a cobra or mamba) because those are the species I "leanred" on.

Youa re 100 percent correct there Seamus.The BEST way to learn hots is through someone else..in other words find someone that is willing and has the experience to teach you how to handle. I,like Mr. Haley am more than comfortable hooking a big Timber,but really shy away when it comes to tonging a cobra,those thing are to damned unpredictable. Very well written Seamus...but what else should we expect from you!!!