FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Concerned Breeder/Reptile Lover
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
lilgreenbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
There is a distinct and important difference between animal rights (PETA, HSUS) and animal welfare. PETA and HSUS ascribe individual, human-equivalent rights to animals, and consider animal ownership abhorrent. Animal welfare is concerned with the proper treatment of animals by humans while understanding that humans use animals for a variety of purposes (e.g. companionship, labor, food, clothing, etc.).

PETA, HSUS, and the ASPCA are all strongly against reptile and amphibian ownership. PETA and HSUS are strongly against any animal ownership. Animal welfare tends to be enforced by the US Department of Agriculture, local law and code enforcement, and local animal control.

As far as a group dedicated to the welfare of captive reptiles and amphibians, only local herpetoculture groups currently fill that role. USARK is a lobbying machine concerned with state and federal legislation prohibiting or controlling the market of pet reptiles and amphibians... they are not directly concerned with the welfare of those animals.
I think out of the three, ASPCA angers me the most, because it seems to pass off as the most legit. I knew about PETA and HSUS, but I was rather naive about ASPCA and had thought they were a good organization. I donate to local shelters exclusively now.

Quote:
Gonna disagree slightly here on the role of USARK. I agree they are not involved in day-to-day animal welfare issues. But here is their mission statement, bolded mt own: The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) is a science, education and conservation-based advocacy for the responsible private ownership of, and trade in reptiles and amphibians. We endorse caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. Our goal is to facilitate cooperation between government agencies, the scientific community, and the private sector in order to produce policy proposals that will effectively address important husbandry and conservation issues. The health of these animals, public safety and maintaining ecological integrity are our primary concerns.

Sounds like animal welfare is certainly a part of their agenda, and I can vouch for the fact that in areas where laws have passed, USARK has been active in working toward reasonable caging and care standards.
I'm glad USARK is working towards herp welfare.