FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - grapefruit seed extract , wormwood , parazap ?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 03:56 AM   #30
KelliH
Quote:
have dealt with worms before , but honestly never had a coccidia infection ! which is scary , back in the day lol when all we had was "hi-yello" LG`s "cryptosporidia" was unheard of in geckos !
Oh Dan, trust me, coccidia and crypto were out there, it just wasn't something that breeders talked openly about.

If your geckos were diagnosed with coccidia, you definitely have a good chance of getting them well, if, like has already been stated, you treat with Albon and practice fastidious cleaning then you can beat it.

Crypto on the other hand, although it is a form of coccidia, is a whole different ballgame. While there has been some encouraging information posted here recently regarding crypto treatments, it is, in most cases that I have heard of, a death sentence for your animals. I am sure some will disagree, but once you get crypto in your colonies, the chances of saving the rest from infection are slim.

I would recommend medicating the coccidia infected animals with albon at the recommended doses, and cleaning cages once or twice a day, changing paper towel and using disposable water bowls and hides. Throw them away each time you clean. Also use ammonia but like has already been stated, make sure the enclosures are completely dry and free of nasty fumes before placing your geckos in them. You can beat coccidia in leos, but it is definitely a pain in the ass. But worth it in the long run, as I am sure you already know. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.