FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Please read: Pending Lawsuit from Venomous Snake Bite
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 07:17 PM   #36
herpetological
Just some points........

Each person and each company has their own policies in regards to sales of venomous species. Most simply follow federal, state or local laws. Some go a bit farther. I don't think anyone can be too careful in regards to sales of potentially dangerous species wether it's hots, crocodilians or large constrictors etc. Many people complain about the tight laws in Florida in regards to hots.....I'm all for it. Just to make it short , you must be permited , inspected, have suitable enclosures, have 1,000 hours or one year experience plus be 18. The problems I see here are the fact that the person who picked the snake up, signed the waiver and physically paid for the specimen was under 18 and legally a minor therefore, none of it is binding. Again as others mentioned I don't want to kick you when your down but, it is somewhat questionable in regards to judgement. For those discussing the atheris venom....There is no recognized "specific antivenom". Each species also varies according to locality in regards to venom property and that particular venoms LD. VINCE......lay off a little. I know people who have worked with hots for 15 years and have been bitten 20 times plus so his record is not bad at all. You also have to consider which species the person is working with, how many specimens they have and how often they handle each specimen. I've worked with hots for well over 25 years and at one time cleaned over 100 venomous cages weekly or bi-weekly. I've had one major bite which landed me in the critical care unit for 4 days. It does happen.....Consider the % of the times a particular keeper is working with hots before you make judgement please. Also, Each bite case is unique in its own way and it should not be downplayed when a particular species envenomates someone and there is little reaction. Even throwing out the possibility of dry bites.......each person reacts differently to specific venoms. The particular area of the bite can even affect the symptoms and severity of a particular envenomation. I won't go into the "if it were me scenario" however, the sale at least should have been made in the physical presence and directly to the adult parent. Good Luck, hate to see this happen.