FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - I surrender to the Borg....
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 03:34 AM   #19
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
To do a full backup, you'd need a custom recovery installed. Booting into recovery is probably akin to booting into a PC's BIOS. It just lets you do things that can't happen while the actual OS is booted. It's a moot point, since there doesn't seem to be one available for your phone yet. You could, however, download the factory firmware image and keep that on your PC just in case. In the event of some catastrophic failure, it would completely wipe the phone and install the original Verizon firmware. It gets flashed with the Odin software I mentioned before. It's a pretty simple process, if you'd ever actually need to do it.
Thanks for the link. Hopefully it's something I will never need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
There's no such app that I know of. Even if left turned off overnight, I wouldn't think it'd lose more than a few % battery charge. The only time I've had significant battery drain while the phone is turned off has been with my old S5, which I just assume needs a new battery. Do both of your phones have comparable battery drain while powered off?
Heck, I haven't paid attention that closely, I just noted that the charge is less after sitting for a while than it was when I last shut it down. As for how much is lost? Perhaps it is normal for these types of batteries. But seems to me that I have had older style batteries that would hold a charge and last up till the day they burst and leaked all over everything as long as whatever they were in did not trickle drain them. Heck, used to be you could check for a trickle drain on a car battery to see if there was a high resistance short somewhere in the wiring. Now, there are electronics modules that are using current, mostly waiting to receive a signal from a FOB to unlock the door, or something of that nature. So yeah, eventually a car battery will go dead unless you put a trickle charger on it if the car is not driven for a couple of months.

I thought I read somewhere a while back that the only way to keep a cell phone from being able to be tracked is to completely remove the battery. If that is true, well, kind of makes you wonder why most of the newer phones have user non-removable batteries.

Yeah, I bought into these smart phones, but there sure seems to be a siren song attached to them.