FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Notice: Deleting classified ads
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 12:32 AM   #8
WebSlave
Yeah, an archive seems like a good idea, but honestly, unless the removal of old ads is freeing up space on the server, then I really don't see much sense in it.

That being said, when a member takes the time to delete their own ads, they are really only soft deleted, so they are recoverable. Except when the rare instances of ambition overwhelm me and I go through old ads that are soft deleted, and hard delete them myself. Which, I have to admit, is VERY rare.

Sometimes I think perhaps I should never have deleted any registered members, nor threads, or posts. Some people look at those figures and consider the statistics as a good measure of whether a site like this is worth registering with and participating within. For instance, the stats right now are:
Quote:
Threads: 339,705, Posts: 1,508,169, Members: 145,617
Had I not deleted any of those items, nor allowed members to delete their ads and subsequent posts in those ads the stats would be approximately:
Quote:
Threads: 715,272, Posts: 2,186,725, Members: 199,203
Like I said, usually I just never know if my decisions were the best choice or not. And looking back, I still don't know.

I try not to look at the statistics section of the admin area any more concerning daily, weekly, monthly, etc. statistics for such things. That can get depressing when I get to wondering what decisions I made in the past were REALLY unwise.