FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - First-time snake owner, please help!
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
ToadStyle
First-time snake owner, please help!

I'm planning on getting a hognose snake (approx. 7- 9 inches), but I can't seem to get her encloser up to standard. I have a few questions regarding a hognose's set-up. If someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I attached a .jpg image of my setup.

(my setup)
- glass 10 gallons (20 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 12 9/16)
- 4 inch of Zoomed Aspen
- Zilla UTH mat (placed under neat the tank on the right side | regulated
by Zoomed Reptitemp Digital Thermostat)
- Zoomed Reptitemp digital thermostat (set to 94 F degree)
- Zilla Heat & UVB Basking Fixture (With a UVB and halogen bulb)

A little more info about my tank, I place the snake hide on top and in the middle of the heat mat. The surface of the hot side is 85F and 75F on the cool side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(QUESTIONS)
1. Is there too much substrate?
2. Should I be worry that the heat source from the heat mat not penetrating up to the surface? I can only get an optimal reading if I uncover the substrate and use my infrared gun on top of it.
3. Because only the bottom of the tank seems to be hot enough, should I use the heat lamp on top of where the heat mat is? (If so, would my snake overheat?)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. sorry in advance if the post is long, I just want to be thorough and give my soon-to-be snake the best living condition possible
Attached Images