FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Giant tegu!!
Thread: Giant tegu!!
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #22
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
You have nothing but "YOUR" opinion, and you are welcome to have one. But that does not mean I am going to agree with you, or even think you are close to being worthy of my time. I have an opinion too, and it is very clear in my post above. Now if you were someone that knew anything at all about tegus, that might be a different matter. But as it stands now you know nothing at all except your so called opinion without one ounce of proof to back your claims. Is that trolling? Well thats not hard to figure out.

I have four adults and six yearlings, so tell me how I have four Giant adults if it is not genetic? You claim to be so educated, explain that one, are all four flukes? are the Giant eggs flukes too? Your opinion is very silly at best.
That's... kinda exactly it actually, yes. I'd really just like you to acknowledge the differences between "is" "possibly" and "probably"

Four is a statistically miniscule number and all four were purchased by you as a group, with unknown origins. It's possible that their size is a genetic absolute, that they are the product of a micropopulation that has developed a larger size in response to localized pressures. It's possible that they were fed a diet that dramatically increased their growth and that, while the physiological potential is inherent in argentine tegus, their offspring are unlikely to express the same trait when denied the same foods at the same ages. If it is a genetic predisposition, you have no knowledge of the method of genetic transmission; is it simply a tendency, is it an absolute, is it a recessive trait, a dominant one? It's possible that the individuals you have purchased are much much older than you have been led to believe and that, with excessive age (such as is uncommon in wild populations or under most captive conditions) comes exceptional size (you stated once when discussing the subject that tegus completely stop growing after reaching maturity, this is, as you know, inaccurate, they merely slow dramatically). And these are just the simple possibilities- some are more probably than others, but none are impossible and, more importantly, none can be disproven as the root explaination for the size of the four adults since nobody has doccumented their history.

Since all these possible explainations exist, none of them can be called "the truth" and all should be acknowledged as potentially having validity until disproved. By that same token, no label should be applied or firm conclusions should be drawn because the information simply doesn't exist to back up one claim more substantially than any other.

You don't really have an opinion about the animals Bobby, you have a desire. You desire to be the source of an inheritable and popular genetic trait and you seemingly refuse to accept that the project, while extremely hopeful and extremely interesting, simply isn't at that conclusive stage yet.